Wednesday 14 March 2018

Waiting for the white smoke

Well rather like waiting for a decision from the College of Cardinals, there’s still no word from the West Kent CAMRA committee as to the winner of the Pub of the Year,  and whilst I have an inkling of the pub which was selected, I don't want to reveal its name until the official result has been declared.

From what I understand, the voting was very tight, with possibly three pubs in contention for the title; and it’s all dependent on how the scores are assessed. This is because CAMRA attaches more importance to certain categories than to others. It’s all very complicated, and quite frankly rather anal, but as soon as I know officially which pub came top, I will let you know.

As one friend, and tour participant  posted, “At the start of the tour it was not important to me which pub won and I went to support the branch, catch up with people and have a good day”. I felt exactly the same,  remaining detached from the outcome, secure in the knowledge I had scored each pub, and each category, as fairly and as objectively as possible.

I had a good day as well, catching up with friends and acquaintances, many of whom I hadn’t seen since before Christmas. These days the social aspect is, for me, what CAMRA should be about. I've done my time in the trenches, surveying pubs, attending branch meetings and filling in endless forms, and I'm sure there are many people who feel the same.

The Revitalisation Project might be about to reach its conclusion, but whatever happens visiting good pubs and enjoying good beer in the company of people I like, will always be the main attraction of CAMRA for me. If I needed confirmation of this, Saturday's bus trip was it, but other events such as walks to country pubs, visits to beer festivals serve to reinforce this view.

I ended yesterday evening by enjoying a couple of glasses of Larkin's Porter at Fuggles Tonbridge. Given the time of year, it was almost certainly one of the last casks of Porter of the season, but was none the worse for that. Smooth, dark  and full of rich chocolate and coffee flavours Larkin's Porter is one of the finest winter ales around, and was a good beer to finish on.

8 comments:

Russtovich said...

"the voting was very tight,"

I know you may see it another way but to my mind that bodes well for the calibre of pubs in Kent. :)

"and I went to support the branch, catch up with people and have a good day"

An admirable sentiment.

"visiting good pubs and enjoying good beer in the company of people I like, will always be the main attraction of CAMRA for me. "

Can't argue with that. :)

" Smooth, dark and full of rich chocolate and coffee flavours Larkin's Porter is one of the finest winter ales around, and was a good beer to finish on."

I am, of course, jealous. If you didn't have an extra pint along the way for me I'm going to claim this one as consolation. ;)

Cheers

PS - "of the pub was was selected,"

I think 'that was' a slight error. :)

Paul Bailey said...

Hi Russ, the fact that the voting was tight, certainly does bode well for the future of pubs in our part of Kent, and whilst we have still seen the odd closure, there have been several re-openings plus other instances of failing pubs being turned around. It needs sympathetic hands, plus some cash, of course, but it can be done.

The Larkin’s Porter was on top form, but stocks will soon be exhausted until the new batch comes onstream in November. As for making you jealous, yes I did go for that second pint – as the saying goes, it would have been rude not to!

Trust spring is now well on its way in west-coast Canada. We’re due to be hit by the return of the “Beast from the East” this weekend; but only for a few days this time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

I noted with a smile your comment on another blog, and the owner's riposte. My smile broadened, when further down, he did exactly what he accused you of himself, and chucked in a gratuitous insult to boot.

He complains of being unable to present the other side of an argument, but meticulously censors any comments which effectively counter the often-silly claims made by people with his particular viewpoints, in my experience.

I suppose that it's the perk of being the blog owner.

Cheers,

E

Russtovich said...

"Trust spring is now well on its way in west-coast Canada. "

Finally! My crocuses are a good three weeks late, but the weather is starting to improve.

It's currently pushing 60F at 3:30pm and only a sprinkle of rain on Sunday for the next five days; which is good as I still have to do out of town jobs on Monday and Tuesday before my wife's surgery on Wednesday.

" As for making you jealous, yes I did go for that second pint – as the saying goes, it would have been rude not to!"

Perfect! I shall virtually snag that second pint as mine. :)
(although I did manage to purchase a Growler of 7.5% Imperial Stout - made partly with Fuggles hops - when I was in Nanaimo yesterday)

Cheers!

Ethelred The Unsteady said...

Apologies for my last post Paul, where I did the daft thing of hitting publish before doing the reCaptcha. (That deletes the name, I find.)

I'm not a CAMRA member, but it was heartening to read your post, where you remind us of the simple reasons why many members probably belong to the group, and why it would have a future in the medium term on that basis alone.

Reading the tone of other blogs, and the comments there, it seems to me that the convulsions of anger, which have sadly swept this once-great-now-laughing-stock country, have spilled over into many aspects of everyday life, which normally would be an escape form such tribulations.

Oh well. Here's to many more coach trips eh?

Paul Bailey said...

Russ, please convey my best wishes to your wife at what must be a worrying and stressful time for you both. Look after yourself too, as I now know only too well that carers need to take care of themselves too, so they can remain strong for the loved ones they are looking after.

Thinking of you both, Paul.

Paul Bailey said...

Ethelred, I think we all need time away from the madness which has gripped the country over the past couple of years. I cannot ever remember the nation being so divided, and it was all unnecessary.

“Call me Dave” nonchalantly walking way from the podium, after making his resignation speech in front of 10 Downing Street, and then humming away to himself as though he hadn’t a care in the world, still rankles. And guess what, there are no bright, sunlit uplands or golden unicorns anywhere to be found.

With regard to CAMRA, I am totally detached from the outcome of the seemingly never-ending “Revitalisation Project”. I remain a member solely for the social side, although I suppose my very act of remaining on board, does help to raise the Campaign’s profile, and keep the group in the public eye.

Russtovich said...

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

Rest assured I will look after myself. We went through something similar a year ago. This time, I plan to pour a beer and peruse some of the UK beer blogs to help me relax. :)

Cheers